Every year on my birthday I take a moment to think about me and my life, to look back and review the last year, and then look forward to the next.
After celebrating my birthday on the weekend, my thoughts turned to things I know for certain. I came up with a bunch, and will scrapbook a page at some point over the next month or so, but, for the moment, here are my top 5:
1. You are responsible for your own happiness.
2. We can't control much in our lives, but we can always control our actions and reactions.
3. Nothing beats a friend you've had for a long time, who knows your past, and with whom you can pick up where you last left off, even if many months have passed.
4. Housekeeping police do not exist; it's ok to have a messy house.
5. Minimizing stress in your life makes everyone happy.
I've also adopted a word for the next year: Patience. Quite frankly, I need more of it. I've been working on this for a bit now and have been seeing some improvement. But now that I've definitely decided to focus on it, this time next year I should be, if not a patient person, a fairly patient person.