Sunday afternoon Kerry mentioned that his chest hurt "right around here" - with the "here" being right over his heart. The pain didn't subside right away. Off to the emergency room. Fortunately, he did not have a heart attack. He saw his GP today, and I'm pleased to say everything looks good.
After moments such as this, I can't help but think of how much I have to be grateful for. More specifically, I am grateful:
1. For a sister who lives nearby who can take the kids on a moment's notice and I know they will be safe and happy.
2. Knowing, as I waited for my sister to answer the phone, that if she didn't answer I have a solid list of nearby friends I can call who could take the kids on a moment's notice. In each of these homes I know my kids would be safe and happy.
3. For a public health care system so that when someone says "I'm having chest pains" he is dealt with immediately regardless of income and the question of insurance coverage never arises.
4. For having a credit card to pay for the oh so expensive parking at the hospital. But the parking is close, well-lit and safe.
5. For the Tim Horton's that is across the street from the emergency room.
6. For a wonderful husband who takes his health seriously to help ensure that he will be with us for a long, long time.
Of course, I have many more things for which I am grateful, but today, these are the ones at the forefront of my mind.